[Fot] Steering rack failure at Kcup

Joe Alexander n197tr4 at cs.com
Tue May 20 12:18:33 MDT 2014

Thanks Greg,

Your dad and I are in touch with Moss as of early this morning. There has been
an incident report and pictures submitted.

There have been earlier reports of these failures in North America and Europe.
Kas and I watched Bob hit the hay bales. No hearsay in this case. Thankfully
there was no injury or damage.

Certainly very serious and the FOT will want to stay on top of this.

Others may want to contribute the facts of their experience, thus far, and any
outcomes.

Joe Alexander
645 1st Street
Jesup, IA 50648
The-vintage-racer.com
Gasketinnovations.com
Cell:  319.464.4711

> On May 20, 2014, at 1:04 PM, Greg And Alison Blake <ablake2 at austin.rr.com>
wrote:

> This weekend at the Kastner Cup race at ECR Dad's steering rack let go right
after the left hand turn at the end of the back straight. Fortunately no one
was injured and the car was ok. Ed Barnard came to the rescue with a quick
drive to his shop for a OEM rack pulled off the shelf. Dad was ready for
racing come Sunday morning.

> The failed rack was an aftermarket rack. We don't know the orgin of the rack
as it was in the car when he purchased it in 2009.

> The rack tube pulled out of the pinion housing.  In looking at the rack
tube, this appears to be a poor design. The steel tube is simple pressed into
the aluminum pinion casting. There is no evidence of a positive means of
securing the rack tube to the casting.