[Fot] Southwick bearing issue

davehogye dlhogye at comcast.net
Mon Sep 1 10:55:34 MDT 2014

Hello Friends,
I was looking into the fact that an axle seal on my Southwick conversion blew, or at least I thought it was a seal problem, but I just pulled the axle out and found that the outer race had cracked through.
I thought I had something going on because while watching my race video from last October I heard what sounded like a bearing or perhaps gear whine when I pulled into the paddock after the race. The sound wasn't obvious until I heard it on the vid.
Anyway, during a recent check of things I noticed grease was slinging out of the seal and onto the brake plate. I was thinking how the heck did the seal fail in such a short time.
Now I'm wondering how the heck the race broke.
WTF,
Dave