[Fot] axle bearing update

davehogye dlhogye at comcast.net
Tue Sep 2 10:06:55 MDT 2014

Hello Friends,
A couple things to update my findings.
First of all, I may have jumped the gun on referring to the Southwick, Green Bearings as garbage. I have no real knowledge of the quality, but I've been informed that the axles come from Moser with the bearings in place and the replacements are the same. I would think that Moser would only use quality bearings.
Secondly, it has been brought to my attention that the centering button that comes in the TransX limited slip should be removed for the Southwick conversion. I did not know this. When I pulled the axle, I found one half of the centering button lying in the axle tube. It's roll pin had broken and it was stuck to the end of the axle with gear oil and dropped off mid way in the tube. Glad I looked in there. So, this may have caused the bearing failure as the axle and bearing were loaded instead of floating.
I'm going to try and get this all back together today and I'll be testing the car at Sears tomorrow with a Hooked on Driving track day.

Dave