[Fot] Bell housings available for 5 speed transmissions

Kenneth Knight kknight at klaenv.com
Mon Apr 20 14:04:00 MDT 2015

Racers;

There has been much concern over keeping our aging racing transmissions
together to make events.  One solution, and this is between you and your
club, is to adapt a modern 4/5 speed racing transmission (Jericho/Ford
Sierra etc.) to your car.  Most of these transmissions will take HP and
torque many times what even the best TR race motors can produce.  In theory,
you will be able to run one of these modern transmissions for years between
rebuilds, not races.  Gear ratios very close to a CR Triumph transmission
are available and 5th will be similar to running the TR OD transmission.  If
you goal is to race, but not rebuild your transmission all the time, this
may be the answer.

To use one of these transmissions you need a bell housing.  I have sourced a
small batch of brand new (undrilled transmission mounting face, but block
mounting is ready to go) bell housings that will fit the TR 3/4/250/6 (or
any TR that can mount a transmission from this line).   They are available
for $450.00 + shipping, but the supply is very limited.  If there is a
demand, more can be ordered, but the lead time is not short.

This is a serious DIY project that will require a machinist and engineering
skill.  These bell housings will take input shaft lengths in the range of
±7.00” but it will require a plate of proper thickness to make it all work.
You will also have to use an annular throw-out bearing.    Contact me if you
are interested.

Cheers,

Ken Knight

3DR