[Fot] Fw: Best spectator vintage event

Jack Wheeler jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 06:16:22 MDT 2015

I have a great memory of Janet Guthrie.  One of the first races I ever attended was the "Glen 500" at Watkins Glen.  It was The Glen's attempt at something like the Trans Am, before the Trans Am existed.  They lumped all AP, BP, CP and DP cars together in one race, called the Glen 500.  It was held in conjunction with an SCCA National race weekend.  Bob Tullius was there in a TR-4, and Janet Guthrie was driving a Jag XK-140.
I worked at the local radio station in Corning during high school, so I was able to get pit passes.  While I was in the pits, watching the action, Janet Guthrie pulled into the pits.  This was about half way through the race (or more).  One of the crew ran over to the car, and I could hear Janet say, "we don't have any oil pressure", to which the crew man responded, "the oil pressure gauge hasn't worked all day, get back out there!"
I thought this was funny, but no dis-respect to Janet.  She was a real pioneer in our sport.  I still have the race program from that race in 1964, and in addition to Janet Guthrie, there were some big names in that race.  Bob Nagel and Ed Lowther in an AC Cobra, Don Yenko and Dick Thompson in a Corvette, Bob Grossman in a Corvette, and Hal Keck in a Cobra.  Bob Tullius did well in the TR-4.  About 2/3 of the way through the race, he was running in the top 3 or 4 with the Corvettes and Cobras, when his engine gave out.  They had replaced the engine the night before the race, so he was running a brand new engine in the race, with no break in time.  I'm going from memory here, and this was over 50 years ago, but I think I am generally correct on this.  Obviously, it had a big impact on me.
By the way, one more note.  FOT's own Dick Stockton was in a race earlier in the day for C, D, E and F Modified, called the "Glen Trophy".  Dick drove a Ferrari in F Modified.  Interesting what you can find in these old race programs.

Jack