[Fot] Spark Plugs

Barr, Scott sbarr at McCarty-Law.com
Fri Apr 24 07:11:42 MDT 2015

OK, so here’s the stupid question of the day – what is it that makes a hot plug “hotter” or a cold plug “colder”.  Is a “colder” plug more resistant to absorbing heat?  And if so, why?

Scott (B.)

From: Fot [mailto:fot-bounces at autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Bill Babcock via Fot
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:11 PM
To: Robert M. Lang
Cc: fot at autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spark Plugs

Why would you want to play with heat range on a dyno? There’s no horsepower difference. The only function of heat range is to have the porcelain at the right temperature to burn off deposits and not overheat to the point that the plug electrode melts or the porcelain blisters. Or at an extreme that the spark plug starts acting like a glow plug. Some tracks that are very tight or that have elevation changes might dictate a change to a hotter plug, or one with long open straights might warrant a colder one, but once you’re in the ballpark you shouldn’t have to do much.