[Fot] early TR3 input shaft question

Steve Yott tr4 at wi.rr.com
Tue Aug 18 10:16:47 MDT 2015

Bob,
I think you will end up with a "frankenbox" but it may work.  The early cars
did use a bronze bushing in place of the caged bearing. The loads on the
bushing or bearing in this area are not severe and I think a bushing would
last a good long time but there must have been a reason for the change.

The bearing outside diameter is 1.125" so you could make a bronze bushing to
fit the hole in the input shaft and size it for a slight press in fit.  The
inner diameter hole should be about .002" larger than the snout on your new
mainshaft.  The issue and concern will be the total length and alignment
with the gears.  I would gather all the parts, lay it out and do some close
measuring to ensure everything lines up properly.

Could work, good luck!

Steve Yott