[Fot] Shift Knob

Jack Wheeler jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 10 13:28:39 MST 2015

Don't forget to lift the lever up, before shifting into reverse. Many folks tend to force the gear lever over to the right (hitting it hard with the back of your hand), then down, without lifting.  This causes undue wear on the shift fork shaft.  There is an intentional 'lock out' in the design of the shaft, which is designed to prevent shifting into reverse when you really wanted a forward gear. Constant shifting into reverse without lifting the lever will gradually wear down the shift fork shaft so that this 'lock out' feature will no longer be functional.  This will then cause more unintentional shifting into reverse when the car is moving forward, and resultant damage to the reverse gear.

A case in point.  Years ago, I went to look at a TR-4 that was for sale, and was going to take it for a test drive. I had to back out of the space where it was parked.  We got in the car (me in the driver's seat, seller in the passenger seat), and he instructed me to hit the left side of the shift lever with the right side of my hand, as hard as I could.  He explained that this would move the lever over far enough that I could then pull it down into reverse.  He told me this was the way it was supposed to work.  Obviously, no one had instructed him on the correct procedure.  Over the years, I've taken apart a number of gear boxes, and almost all of them have excessive wear on the reverse gear shift fork shaft, most to the point where there is virtually no 'lock out' affect remaining.
Just FYI
Jack