[Fot] Six cylinder cams

fubog1 fubog1 at aol.com
Sat Oct 31 16:03:39 MDT 2015

Duncan and Larry have nailed it.
It's completely subjective, what is expected out of the engine, HP/torque, what is the operating range, and depends on so many other factors, ie cam profile and phasing, port & valve sizes, CR, intake and exhaust header & pipe, carbs etc etc.
Also compression calculations based solely on head thickness aren't really accurate, valve depth and head shape vary and affect volume.
A slight lump on top of the pistons into the chamber will get the compression up without making the head too thin, and won't interfere with flame travel if it's less than .050 or so and the edges are radiused/clearanced.
Another related point is that it's easy to get mechanics red-mist when selecting cam profiles. BTDT, several times actually. Be realistic. A true race engine never operates below 4-5K RPM.
If your working with a TRactor engine, forget about the high revs, take advantage of the stump-pulling (slight exaggeration) torque characteristics that it has.
Glen