[Fot] Non TR question

Duncan Charlton duncan.charlton54 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 20:39:45 MDT 2016

I went to the first F1 at CotA and bought a seat at turn 6 since 1) I knew there were delays in construction and 2) because I used to live on the same kind of soil, so I knew that if it was rainy, those without seats would be standing in a nasty kind of mud known locally as “black gumbo.”  It sticks to everything and ends up 3” thick on your shoe soles.  Turned out the weather was fine and turn 6 is not a good place from which to watch (I’m not sure they still put up bleachers there any more) — the cars were visible only briefly and the sound level would have been painful if I hadn’t brought ear plugs (the formula has changed since then and I don’t think the cars are so loud any more).

My favorite places to watch are turn 15 (facing upstream to back straight, so you can see turn 12, 13, 14, and 15 and the entry to 16), turn 1, either of the bridges (but guards usually shoo people away after they’ve had their 2 minutes to shoot photos), and turn 11, if you don’t mind sitting on the fairly steep grassy slope.  It’s hard to use a lawn chair with legs there due to the steepness so bring something suitable and bring some sunscreen — it will be late in the year but you’re still sure to get a sunburn at turn 11.

Duncan