[Fot] SVRA & Tires

billdentin at aol.com billdentin at aol.com
Sun May 29 09:26:34 MDT 2016

Amici...

Bob Wismer and I used Dunlops on our race cars for years and years.  We liked the way they looked (very 'proper'), and we were cheap.  Like you said, "...they never wear out."  We used to get nearly ten events out of a set.  They got hard, but we used to use a 'softener'.  That turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.  Then towards the end of our racing careers, Dunlops became hard to get.  They never seemed to be available when we needed them, so we started using other tires.  Those other tires never looked "proper".  But we were big fans of Dunlop.

In the early 1980s you could get Dunlop "GUM BALLS".  They were very,very sticky but wore out quickly.  Well funded racers practiced on standard Dunlops, and then ran the Gum Balls for the feature race.  Then I heard that a couple of museum pieces over in England had been brought out for competition, they ran on the Gum Balls and had suspension failures, with catastrophic results. It was decided that the Gum Balls were way too sticky for 'vintage' race cars.  So Dunlop stopped making them.

Bill Dentinger