[Fot] GT6 differential and general question

Scott Janzen Janzen at recatalyst.com
Tue Sep 5 07:05:54 MDT 2017

After carefully setting up the gear lash on a spare diff, I torqued the bearing cap bolts on the differential carrier for the last time, and one of them stripped.
I can put a helicoil in, but in the process I will loose the steel locating sleeve on this bolt hole that helps hold the cap.

I can’t remove the sleeve without destroying it.  Several questions:

What’s the proper name for these “sleeves”, if I want to try to get one from McMaster Carr, or where can I get them?

Is it essential?  I assume these are there because they take some side thrust from the carrier.

I can start over with another diff casing - maybe the best thing to do.  Just hate to have to strip and clean another one up, replace seals, adjust the gear lash again!