[Fot] Gear ratios?

Bud R levilevi at comcast.net
Thu Jan 11 11:34:09 MST 2018

Thanks guys for the help,

Doing things backwards seems to be my specialty lately.

The tranny is back in the car so I can’t redo the revolutions directly on the tranny. I do have the rear end on jack stands putting on some new brake lines so can I pull the spark plugs and just rotate the rear wheel while counting the crank pulley revolutions to get the ratios for each gear?

I did count the teeth on the gears, but I didn’t measure the diameters because I didn’t think to do that.

1st = 30 teeth
2nd = 26 teeth
3rd = 22 teeth
4th = 19 teeth
Reverse = 33 teeth

Pics below.

The ratios I pulled from the mintylamb gearspeed calculator showed for a GT6 gearbox (for KC/KF/KE gearboxes) are:
1st 2.646
2nd 1.779
3rd 1.254
4th 1.0

These are real close to the ratios shown for a TR7 4 speed gearbox. I have a refurbished (by TRF) TR7 4 speed awaiting an adapter to my Spitfire MK III bell housing. So if/when I need to replace the GT6 tran my plan is to use the TR7 4 speed as it is supposed to be stronger. But I’d like to know what ratios I have now before that decision point is reached.
1st 2.66
2nd 1.78
3rd 1.26
4th 1.0

I used a 3.89 welded diff initially with this gearbox but I switched to a welded 4.11 which is now in the car.

Thanks again.
Bud

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
69 Spitfire MK III (back up FE engine/dinghy car)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)