[Fot] GT6'rs

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Sun Jan 21 20:08:52 MST 2018

On 1/21/2018 3:32 PM, barry rosenberg via Fot wrote:
> Have yall ever heard of using the exhaust to evacuate the engine? Not
> quite legal in some groups but easy to hide. From your vent can, use
> only one, and mount it in the battery box area. Run a tube up from the
> floor, thru the battery box and into your vent can about 3/4 way up
> inside the can. Under the car, drill a 1/2" hole in you collector and
> put a short piece of tubing at a 45 degree angle in cut at a 45 degree
> angle. Let it stick inside the collector about 1/8". Put a short piece
> of high temp hose on the pipe then a one way PCV type valve and
> connect the other end of this hose to the tube coming out the vent
> can. As exhaust passes the tube in the collector, it will create
> negative pressure in the engine slowing up leaks and increasing power.
> NASCAR engines use a vacuum pump and gain about 80 horsepower. I used
> one on a TR4.

The technique described is known as eduction.  Gas is pulled into the
passing exhaust stream by creating a partial vacuum at the mouth of the
tube inserted into exhaust pipe.  The 45 deg. suggestion is not hard and
fast.  I would suggest that an included angle less than 45 deg. is more
efficient, but there might be some experimentation required to get the
optimum shape for the pipe mouth.  In fact, Toyota used such an
arrangement on their 3AC and 4AC engines to eliminate the air injection
pump.  Fresh air was drawn from the air cleaner housing through a reed
valve attached to a flame trap.  The only problem with the arrangement
was that the reed valve was a little noisy at idle.  Sanctioning bodies
which are chary of the method might be less inclined to put up a stink
if they saw that the method has been used safely in production cars and
if, say, some junkyard production parts were installed.

As for pulling the pan in the car, I've done it, and without a hoist and
with the trans in the car (and this was with a TR6 engine installed, the
pan of which is a good inch deeper at the front). Had to disconnect the
mounts, jack up the engine and then wedge the engine in place.  But, I
did manage to do a quick re-ring and rod bearing replacement (and
replace a rod with a stretched big end) and get the pan back on without
engine removal, so it can be done.  But, it's not what I'd call fun.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....