[Fot] Spitfire Over Drive

D V explore8 at outlook.com
Mon Sep 24 18:13:25 MDT 2018

I received a single rail j type over drive in my spares when I bought the car years ago and I never used. The previous owner used it some but then abandoned it because they could get used to switching back and forth in and out of OD.

My understanding was that these came from the factory with a longer input shaft and therefore needed a shorter drive shaft? My crude measurements appear that the overall length is the same and the input shafts are the same. The only thing that looks different is the location of the mount to the frame cross member.

I don’t remember the P.O. saying anything about drive shafts and I don’t have one in my spares. Could he have changed the input shafts for an easy swap of trans? I think I have a fabricated mount adapter for the cross member.

Any insight?[Image]
Over drive in the distance

[Image]
Over drive; non OD had throw out bearing and was a little more difficult to measure

[Image]
Over draft near