[Fot] Watkins Glen - September

Bill Dentinger billdentin at aol.com
Wed Mar 27 08:27:45 MDT 2019

Hot stuff!
Bill Dentinger

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
 On Wednesday, March 27, 2019, Bill Tobin <william.tobin31 at verizon.net> wrote:

OK, full disclosure: the luckiest I got at Watkins Glen was after the '68 USGP. I was hanging out by the gate to the Kendall Tech Center where the cars were kept.

A nicely dressed couple came out and asked me if I'd like to see the cars. They handed my their pass and in I went. On the way in I helped a couple guys, crewmen, carry in some equipment. They were crew for Jackie Stewart, who had just won! They were British and friendly and we chatted for a bit. Then in walked three guys with a huge champagne bottle. It was Stewart, Ken Terrell, and Denny Hulme. I was impressed! Stewart passed the bubbly to the crewman, who in turn asked me if I'd like a sip. Of course I took a sip. Wow! Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Didn't have a camera with me, but got all their autographs. Great memories.

The next summer, I met Oscar Koveleski, and it got more interesting from there. I met a whole bunch of other people after that.

What, you think I can make this stuff up? Watkins Glen is Mecca to me. Enjoy it.

At the '68 USGP, I swore that someday I'd race there. It took 39 years, but in 2007 I did just that, at the Vintage GP. How's that for hanging in there?

Cheers, Bill