[Fot] Spit Six NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DPPI - Mark Craig info at dieselperformanceparts.com
Thu Apr 9 14:56:09 MDT 2020

Afternoon Membership,

I bought a really nice rust free Spit Six about two years ago. Solid rust free Ca body, GT6 Bonnet. Full frame off and repaint. Overdrive and a special Canley Classics upgraded tranny. GT6 full suspension, brakes and a matching hardtop too.   Here is the info I got on the car when I was buying it. Maybe one of the best ones out there ever based on what I know. It needs a good home. I got 3 Spit race cars, a company to run, a 14 year old and this baby never gets run. I'd like to see 12,500.00 out of her. But as most of you know I like to swap stuff, maybe Spit race parts or who knows, plus cash of course, LOL!!

This is all the correspondence I had prior to buying the car, see the attached pics too:

Mark,

Nice to see I am talking with a true Triumph person. My very first car was a Triumph and my very last car is also a Triumph.

#1. GT6 calipers, remanufactured with spacers by Canley. I still have the original Spitfire calipers if you want them.

#2. The GT6 suspension towers were mounted on the Spitfire frame, this was necessary for proper fit of the GT6 engine in the bay. GT6 knuckle with larger diameter axle was also installed.

#3. I was not convinced by Canley's method of mounting the vented caliper on the wheel hub. It was a loose fit with centering made by  the 4 wheel studs. I machined the hub with a journal so the 2 diameters would be aligned. The aluminum spacer was required to give the stock track. Canley uses a thick washer and actually increases the track a little.

#4. Hardtop has new window rubber, I have the window seal ( just need to install it ), headliner is original,  slightly stained, one small L shaped tear perhaps 7 x 7 mm long.

#5. Everything is operational.

#6. I stayed with the stock wheels because they were original to the car. I do have a set of ready to go painted GT6 steel wheels we can talk about.

#7. I agree it looks high. I used the GT6 front springs thinking the additional weight of the 6 cylinder engine would lower the front end too much if I keep with the Spitfire springs. I now think the stock Spitfire springs might work better.

#8. Cooling works like a charm with the 3 row core, everything cooling the way it is supposed to.

#9. I stayed with the Spitfire rear spring, the height looks good here.

#10. I become a bit obsessive about getting things correct. I was a lot more work cutting out the old brackets, refurbishing them, and welding them on the Spitfire. But when I ask myself, if this GT6 convertible had come from the factory, how would they have done it. I had no choice.

#11. The chrome trim plate at the top of the windshield has scratches, this I would replace. I rechromed the small aluminum trim pieces that fit over the door seal , there seems to have had a chemical reaction as they are now pitted. Never got around to installing a radio. Windshield washer pump ( button type in the dash ) does not work. Could not find a replacement. The chap who did the alignment had never seen this set up before, it handles just fine, but should be checked by someone with Triumph experience.

I await your next set of questions,

Regards,

Dan

________________________________

Dan,

WOW I love the info, thanks!

Ok questions:

The front vented discs - Are there the GT6 Calipers or the Spit calipers?

Did you change over the Spit upright and stub axle to the GT6 upright and stub axle? If not did you upgrade to the Canley larger diameter stub axle made for Spits??

Is that an aluminum spacer I see on the front wheel hub to move the wheel out some to clear the caliper??

I see the hardtop was painted like the car probably when you painted the car, did you have to restore the rubber weather-strip on it and the headliner or not??

Dumb question for a car that looks so nice, but does everything work, lights , horn, heater, heater fan, turn signals, hi lo beams, radio, brake lights, wipers, gauges, windows, overdrive, license plate light etc etc etc

Did you stay with the steel wheels for any particular reason, do you have any others??

Seems to sit high in the front, is the picture presenting an illusion or is it a little high?

Does the re cored radiator keep the larger engine cool enough?

Did you use the GT6 rear leaf spring or stay with the Spit one?

How come the rear shocks upper mount is mounted to the body vs the original frame mount?? I haven't seen that before on GT6's or converted Spit frames/chassis.

What does it need, what doesn't work, what is wrong and needs correction??

This is a nice car please do not take all my questions as anything but wanting information, the questions are not to be critical of your car or efforts to build it. I am particular, I race Spits in vintage racing and have 4.5 of them (one broke an axle and flipped 4 times) that I already own. So yes I am serious and not just wasting your time, or like some others a picture collector.

[http://dieselperformanceparts.com/media/mail/logo_small_dppi.png]<dieselperformanceparts.com>

Mark Craig
Diesel Performance Parts, Inc.
411 Allied Drive, Nashville, TN 37211
www.dieselperformanceparts.com<http://www.dieselperformanceparts.com/>

[http://dieselperformanceparts.com/media/mail/icon_social_facebook.jpg]<https://www.facebook.com/DieselPerformanceParts>[http://dieselperformanceparts.com/media/mail/icon_social_twitter.jpg]<https://twitter.com/PerfectDiesel> [http://dieselperformanceparts.com/media/mail/icon_social_googleplus.jpg] <https://plus.google.com/u/0/104451046659790804057/posts>  [http://dieselperformanceparts.com/media/mail/icon_social_linkedin.jpg] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/diesel-performance-parts-inc->

Phone: 615-834-0066
Fax: 615-834-9923
Email: mark at dieselperformanceparts.com<mailto:mark at dieselperformanceparts.com>