[Fot] !957 Sebring Results

Robert Johns outlook_91706A5C9905ADA5 at outlook.com
Sun Apr 12 21:59:54 MDT 2020

Here we go again.  Morty knows the facts about the published results being  incorrect.  Morty is right about the car that is about to go under the bridge at the race start  is being driven by Bob Oaker.  Mike Rothschild started the race with # 34, the white TR3 with the white top.  I took over in that car about 1:00 and finished my second shift of the race in 19th place.  Both of the other two TR3s developed clutch problems (sheared throw out bearing shaft pin).  The spare third car # 70 was withdrawn. #33 continued to be driven primarily by Bob Oaker, as Pennybacker was not able to drive without the clutch.  # 33 finished in 21 place.  The record keeping was very loose in those days.
AAA was running things and no one from the officials committee bothered to make a final check as what drivers were to drive what cars. There was never any question in the Triumph Pit as to what the driver arrangement was to be. Mike and I practiced  in only #34.  In 2007 I went to the race and took with me all kinds of data.  I went to the officials office and discussed the incorrect record issue with them.  We had agreement  and I was assured  that the next time the record book was reprinted,  corrections would be made.  I have the trophy that was presented to the team for the first in class win.   This happened within a year of when Mike Cook died.  He discovered the trophies in a closet of the Jaguar Headquarters in New Jersey. If we have the Kastner Cup, I will bring it for all to enjoy.    The photo that is on facebook  as the heading of my facebook page is of the Triumph team.  I will try to add that photo and the photo of the winning car with Mike and myself  and the class winning trophy sitting on the hood (bonnet).   There was none of the American magazines that got the results correct.  There is an  English car magazine that did get it right.   If you see me, ask me how I could have, should have,  gotten 18th place instead of 19th.   It was the way of gentleman racing in those days. Once again, I hope that this will put this matter  to bed.   Thank you everybody for having an interest.