[Fot] Stirling Moss at Stardust Raceway

Kenneth Knight kknight at klaenv.com
Mon Apr 13 10:16:29 MDT 2020

The year is 1968 and I am a Jr. in High School in Las Vegas.  The Can Am
series has been coming to Las Vegas for a few years to the Stardust
International Raceway.   The track was west of the Strip by several miles
(now a housing development).  Ditching class on a Friday I go out to watch
practice and after getting a ticket for under $5 I head for the pits.  Jim
Hall is there with the high wing Chaparral, the mighty McLaren's of Bruce
and Denny Hulme are warming up.  John Surtees and the magnificent sounding
Ferrari is sorting out mechanicals.  Just being able to walk up to any car
and driver, take a picture, get an autograph, what a privilege.

While watching the action I hear an English voice over my shoulder.  I turn
and there stands Stirling Moss, a 'bird' under each arm, and he is
explaining what is going on to two of the most gorgeous gals this 16 year
old had ever seen.  I was so stunned I could not even ask for an autograph
but I sure watched as he wandered the pits and talked to all the drivers.
The 'birds' seemed to be ever so happy to be given such a personal tour.
What a legend was Sir Stirling Moss, in more ways than one!

Cheers all and Stay Safe, Ken