[Fot] Opinion Tyme Update

Nick Black vintagenick42 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 22 08:24:35 MDT 2020

Thanks  for all the ideas about this...
Mleccese - the car has a rubber seal on the crank and double seals on the trans...nice and dry in there, no oil leaks.
Tony - the car has a Tilton 7.25" setup with the "copper" colored full circumference disc (not individual "pucks") with a Tilton aluminum flywheel.
Marcel - the metal clutch line was not changed, but it wasn't kinked anywhere and I could blow thru it ok. The clutch feels as it always has just has this "instant" on/off that the driver cannot modulate.
David - the slave rod was in the center hole, but it worked the same when in the lower hole.The flywheel looks perfect and there is no measureable "bell" to it, no heat cracks or burrs.
Phil - the first "repair" was the disc, throwout sleeve. trans input shaft and diff change. The "full Monte" of changes have not been on track yet, but nothing that was replaced has been out of spec anywhere. The car has the steel throwout bearing flange and was pinned as it just doesn't seem rite to let steel on steel rotate. The pin was moved 90 degrees from where it was in case there was any unseeable wear from the fork on the sleeve.
Mike - Doubtful that anything "downstream" of the clutch is the problem. The trans was disassembled and the input shaft was changed after the first tyme. The driveshaft was inspected and rebalanced and the diff was changed to one that has been faultless for years, still had the problem.
The only other thing that has been changed is the clutch master diameter...went one size smaller as I thought that might give the driver a bit better chance to "modulate" the pedal. The interface twixt the throwout bearing and the throwout bearing flange has been relieved in case it may have gotten hung up somehow on the sleeve. The clearance twixt sleeve and throwout bearing flange is also within specs and moves easily by hand.
I'm about out of ideas here at this point and I have no confidence that any of these changes will affect the issue. It sure seems like I'm missing something here!
lack-o-slip here in NorCalNick