[Fot] Stromberg Carb - Needle Removal

Jack Wheeler jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 14 16:58:15 MST 2020

I have worked on British Cars (mostly TR-3's and 4's) all my life.  Until now, I have successfully avoided working on Stromberg carburetors.  Recently a friend who knows I work on British cars, asked me if I could rebuild a carb on a Spitfire he was working on.  For some crazy reason, I accepted this challenge.  It is from a 1978 Spitfire (at least that's the year of the car).
I'm trying to remove the needle from the piston.  The only manuals I have for a Stromberg carb are for a TR-6, and I'm not sure they are the same, especially since this car was made 2 years after the TR-6 went out of production, in an era when emissions laws kept changing resulting in constant changes to the carburetors.  So far, I have removed the piston and diaphragm, and using a TR-6 adjusting tool, I turned it counter-clockwise for a number of turns, or until I figured it was loose.  Then, I removed the set screw in the side of the piston.  Now, the whole needle assembly turns in the piston when I use the adjusting tool to turn it.  But, it won't come out.  Is there something else I need to do, or is it just stuck real well after sitting for the last 20 or so years?
Thanks for any ideas you can give me.  Also, can anyone recommend a manual for late 70's Stromberg carbs used on the Spitfire?
Jack