[Fot] ATL Fuel Cells

van.mulders.marcel at telenet.be van.mulders.marcel at telenet.be
Wed Feb 5 03:08:10 MST 2020

I bought a new ATL fuel cell (bladder +foam) a month ago, like I do every five years, because the people of the technical control check the expiry date. No way to pass with an ATL cell that has expired, and rightly so of course. On the other hand, an original fuel tank of 50+ years old is passing without a problem. Also a new welded aluminium tank, without foam in it, will pass. 2 years ago, someone in our championchip had a rather heavy accident in a race and the fuel poured out of his new aluminium tank : a welded seam had splitted. Luckily there was no fire. Iit was made of straight sheets of aluminium, simply welded where the pieces come together, without making any rims or fringes or any other reinforcements, a 70 litres tank, without foam in it! It had passed the technical control. I mean, the guys at the technical control should think about what is really safe and unsafe, instead of only applying the rules in the book. An ATL cell is safe and worth the money. 5 years validity is on the low side, I think. It can be sent to the factory and then they will extend the validity with 2 years, but it is cheaper to buy a new one : the check at the factory + post and package is almost 2/3 of the price of a new one.
Marcel