[Fot] Camshaft recommendation

Larry Young cartravel at pobox.com
Fri Feb 21 09:13:55 MST 2020

Yes, the down side to a smaller clearance is that the seat-to-seat
duration and valve overlap will increase causing a loss of the low end.
This page > http://tildentechnologies.com/Cams/Tip_Lash.html shows a
case where the duration would increase about 32 degrees to about 4x86 =
344 degrees. I like to call this the "tuning fork effect" it sets of all
kinds of vibrations which can cause the valve to jump off the lifter and
bounce off the seat at closing.

I did not intend to imply most smack the lifter, just that many do. This
is a good reason to thoroughly measure your cam profile. Most stuff on
the web talks about valve springs as the only cure for valve float issues.
  - Larry