[Fot] testing

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Sun Feb 23 07:08:59 MST 2020

On 2/23/20 6:28 AM, marty via Fot wrote:
> Just checking to see if my post are going through. I sent a Kastner
> Cup post out yesterday and didnt see it.

Some general observations and guidelines here.  First off, make sure the
mail you are sending to the FOT list is going to fot at autox.team.net and
NOT fot-bounces or fot-owner or some other admin only type of address.
Some email programs don't do a good job of sorting this out, especially
on list replies.

And speaking of replies, say Person A posts to the list, you hit the
'reply' button that your mail program provides.  Check and see what
addresses are actually listed as recipients.  Person A is n the FOT
list, they will see your reply in list email, they don't need to get a
second copy sent to their personal address.  Some mailers are able to
discern it is a mailing list message from the headers, which are usually
not displayed to the user.  For example, the FOT list, as well as all
the other Team Net lists, puts lines like these in the message headers:

  <mailto:fot-request at autox.team.net?subject=subscribe>

So if you are using a mailer that can figure these out, using 'reply
list' or whatever will trim out all the other cc: addresses and send it
to just the list address.

Messages from addresses not in the list, or that have too many recipient
addresses listed and those that match other certain tests are held for
administrator approval.  That means I have to look at them and decide
what to do with the messages, whether to throw them away or send them on
to the list.  I get about 2 - 300 hundred such messages every day from
all the lists hosted here, it can take me a while to get through them
all.  I just checked, currently have 348 such messages, and at 8 am
every day emails are sent to the list owners ( that would be me ) with
details on why they are held.

That being said, Marty, I didn't see anything from you in the held
message queue for FOT, so I'm not certain what happened to the missing
Kastner Cup post.  I can't even determine if it made it to Team Net or
not, sorry.  All I can say is try it again, and explicitly add
mark at bradakis.com as a cc: address, so I can take a look at the actual
email headers to see what the problem might be.

mjb.