[Fot] Fwd: 2020 VARAC Release

John H. Hasty jhasty at mhc-law.com
Sun May 17 20:40:42 MDT 2020

John, Henry:
You asked me to take a look at the VARAC release. I generally agree with Dale’s analysis of the waiver, and as Gary observed, all but Section 1 is what insurance companies have been asking us to sign over the years.  First let’s all understand that waviers/releases/covenants not so sue relating to events which are to happen in the future are generally enforceable except for acts on the part of the releases of reckless, intentional or gross negligence.  (in other words some act on the part of the sanctioning body and its agents which no reasonable person would have anticipated to expose themselves to by entering the event)  Other than Section 1, the release is over-broad on purpose placing layers of attempted release language which can be used by defense counsel (of which I am one) to delay and as a result increase the costs of pursuing litigation against the sanctioning body.  It also plants in the participant’s mind that it would be useless to attempt action for injuries he/she may have received.  (By mentioning increased costs, I would comment that these could be in the tens of thousands of dollars)
            Now, let’s talk about Section 1.  First, set the stage.  All scientific information available to us today says that for us to practice safety from the virus we should shelter at home, practice social distances of 6 feet from other individuals while on necessary trips to obtain essential items such as food etc. and wear a mask when near others.  In addition the states have instituted various executive orders declaring what enterprises are safe conduct in the virus infected atmosphere.  Participating in racing events to my knowledge is not one of them.   In the face of these facts come VSCDA, SVRA, SCCA and perhaps others who wish to stage events where hundreds of people will mingle with one another and compete in a relatively limited area.  On the question of whether their desires to stage these events are as a result of the overwhelming clamor from their members to stage events in this virus pandemic or because of their own financial interests I will not opine.  So, how do these sanctioning bodies entice people to disobey the advice of the scientific community and attend their events?  They come up with a long list of things, changes to normal policy, that they are going to enforce in order to make it safe for you to come to their event. No driver’s meeting, no social events, sanitizing this thing and that thing, pages of actions that they will take to make it safe for you to attend their event.  But how do the sanctioning bodies protect themselves from the claims of people who relied on their representations that it would be safe to attend their events who do in fact become infected with the virus or some other injury?  Enter Section 1 which, in spite of the sanction bodies representations of safety,  places the burden on you to determine whether you “feel safe” to be at the event.  There is also the issue of what responsibility would be attributed to you should you be a carrier of the virus which infected another person?  It has never been clear to me whether these sanctioning bodies carry participant liability insurance or whether such off track liability would be covered, but you should be aware of this potential liability as well.  Whether Section 1 would be enforceable given the representations of safety made by the sanctioning bodies would be an issue, but here again an issue which could cost you thousands of dollars to try and overcome in a court of law.
            Again, I do not opine on whether the sanctioning bodies should be encouraging people to enter their events or whether it is reasonable and one should, as the release states, “feel safe” under the present conditions to participate in these events.  It’s entirely up to you.
[cid:image001.png at 01D62C90.227B0A50]

John H. Hasty
Attorney at Law
Mullen Holland & Cooper P.A.
301 S. York St.,
P.O. Box 488
Gastonia, NC 28053
704.864.6751 (p) 704.861.8394 (f)
mhc-law.com<http://mhc-law.com/> | jhasty at mhc-law.com<mailto:akisby-meadows at mhc-law.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission has been sent by a law firm on a legal matter. It may contain information that is confidential, privileged, proprietary, or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message, any part of it, or any attachments. If you have received this message in error, please delete this message and any attachments from your system without reading the content and notify the sender immediately of the inadvertent transmission. There is no intent on the part of the sender to waive any privilege, including the attorney-client privilege, that may attach to this communication. Thank you for your cooperation. 11 U.S.C. 528(a)(4) NOTICE. We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the federal Bankruptcy Code.