[Fot] Waivers

Dale Oesterle dale.oesterle at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 17 16:56:21 MDT 2020

The extra stuff in the waiver matters. A straightforward wavier waves negligence claims (not claims gross negligence, recklessness or intentional misconduct, depending on the state). A straightforward assumption of risk is an acknowledgement that a participant is willingly and consensually taking a higher than normal risk.  Both are accepted in the courts. Lawyers use the extra language in an attempt to add, subtly, more layers of liability protection when general law on waivers applies (i.e., there is no broader exemption statute such as those in Colorado for ski lifts).  Moreover, the contractual provisions on virus procedures should be in a separate contract — not in the waiver— with remedies specified for breaches.  The language just confuses people and makes insurance negotiations more complicated.

Dale Oesterle
- Sent from iPad