[Fot] Old Cars

Scott Janzen sjanzen at me.com
Sat May 23 12:49:31 MDT 2020

Thanks, Terry, really great advice.  As many of you pointed out, I had the oil weights reversed winter and summer, so summer, 30w, winter 20w, though the manual says I can probably continue using 20W all summer.  The oiling system is definitely splash at low speeds, with “dippers” attached to each connecting rod big end that scoop up some oil and direct it at the rod bearings.  At higher speeds, there’s a pipe and nozzles off the oil galley that aim oil at the dippers to increase the flow - the manual has directions on aiming the nozzles and apparently there’s a special “target” jig where one can adjust the nozzles to hit the target, with dire consequences if they aren’t aimed right.  Of course, the oil gauge only goes from 0-30 psi, so we have a low pressure system here.

Steering - I re-read the paragraph and it starts with “this is filled at the factory with a special all season gear lube and, to paraphrase “you shouldn’t need to mess with it".  After 73 years, however, I’m going to check.  It also  says “use a lube that will not “channel” at low temps or cause “hard steering”.  I’ll try 90W and see what happens.  You are correct about pulling the steering box - the directions start with “remove the steering wheel” and go on from there.  However, steering is quite loose and there are three separate lash adjustments, according to the manual, so it’s probably best done on a bench.

Brakes - the wheel and master cylinders were surprisingly good, so I got rebuild kits, which look to be USA made.

While I’m boring you guys and gals with all this non-Triumph stuff, the manual has four pages on cleaning the upholstery, including categories for battery acids, blood, candy, chewing gum, paint and lacquer, fruits, grease and oil, ice cream, writing ink, iron rust, lipstick, tar and water spots.  Solvents for cleaning include benzene, ether, sodium bifluoride ( I always have that around), carbon tetrachloride, and ammonia.