[Fot] Tow Vehicle Musings

Spitfire Racing spitfire_racing at twcny.rr.com
Wed Sep 23 19:55:22 MDT 2020

An F-350 4x4 XLT with a 7.3L turbo diesel is the hot ticket. I have an ’03 I bought damaged with 16K on it; replaced the front clip and frame and it’s been a great truck since. That was the last year of production for the 7.3 turbo option. Key improvements over a lesser truck are the brakes; axle ratings; suspension. This truck was fully loaded and has been trouble free after sorting a few things out that resulted when it came to a sudden stop prior to my purchase. (but not as sudden as the vehicle ahead of it)

Incredible torque and brakes up to the task. I tow a 24’ enclosed dual axle trailer. I also use a 34’ Ford based V-10 powered F-550 chassis motorhome when going to races. It’s a ’99 we ordered new and now has only 48K on it. The F-350 now has ~68K on it.

Not cats; no DEF to contend with. I did replace the exhaust w/ a 4”SS system which added power and mpg. Not noisy!

The chassis of the f-350 is treated every year before winter with Fluid Film, a rust preventive lanolin product. Great stuff and one of the few effective defenses against the rust in the Northeast winters.

Russ