[Fot] Brake Disc & Caliper Cold Air Ducting?

Ponostyle ponobill at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 08:24:30 MST 2021

It’s an often overlooked issue. I ran into the back of a Lotus in Peyote at the chicane entrance once on the first lap of a Portland Rose Cup race because my brakes were dead cold. the victim told me he always rode his brakes on the warmup lap to get the pads up to temperature—advice I considered silly until I tried it. I always assumed brakes worked best when cold—they do, after all, convert kinetic energy into heat. It would seem the deeper the reservoir the better they would work, and that’s true for the disk, but not the pads. It turns out that competition pads—those designed to handle higher temperature, don’t start conforming to the disk until they get hot enough regardless of how hard you stand on the pedal. They also initially off-gas a little, which might also reduce friction. Initially Peyote had some kludgy dryer-duct cooling which I think Tony tossed out the first time he worked on the car. I’ve never had the brakes fade, though I’ve certainly had brain fade fairly often.