[Fot] Fw: Ole' Blue at Summit Pt with Henry Frye

Terry Sopher terrysopher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 14:31:25 MST 2021

Jack,

Thanks for that bit of firsthand history from someone who was there!

As a teenager in the 70s, my Dad would take me to Summit Point for the races and he would volunteer as a corner worker and signed me up to be a timer (stop watches in those days).  My first official solo stint as a timer I was randomly assigned a Triumph (and some other car).  I was stoked, since I was already a “Triumph guy”, even though I wasn’t driving yet.  Anyway, I got still more excited when I found out Paul Newman was the driver (that’s why I can’t remember the other car).  After the pace lap and green flag Newman was up front & I was Very focused on not screwed up!  After the first lap I was disappointed when Newman came into the pits, everyone was wondering what went wrong with the car.  His guys/friends came out and pulled the beer cooler out from the cockpit and he charged back onto the track.  Seems they left the cooler in the car from happy hour the night before.  Anyway, he did make up the time and I believe was in the top 5 or so cars by race end.  That’s when I got the bug to race...it just took another 40+ years to get there!!

Terry