[Fot] Valve spring pressures

ralph hansen quikrx at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 10 08:07:47 MDT 2021

 I always set mine up with equal pressures at full closed. I would check them at full open and sometimes adjust them a bit to get better balance when closed. The pressure to open is more critical (told by a very old race tech from back in the day) to balance and smooth out the running at high rpm. Think of it as running through a series of eight spring loaded closed doors. If they are all the same spring pressure you fly through, with spring variances you get through some quicker, others impede your movement. I usually ended up with eight different shim stacks under my valves to achieve this but my under-developed 1147 would pull to 8k nice a steady and run a few ticks off the flyboys and ahead of many stronger cars.