[Fot] TR8 needs a new home

Greg Blake gblake58tr3 at icloud.com
Wed Mar 16 09:53:23 MDT 2022

Folks I mentioned that Pops is thinning the heard. First up will be his beautifully restored 1980 TR8. Photo session by our very own Don Couch last week produced some amazing documentation of the car.

This will be submitted to BAT later tonight unless one of you has serious interest.

Link to photos

https://dcphotos.photoshelter.com/gallery/Blake-TR8/G0000HjfTHoioXZk

Brief write up.

Basic facts
1980 TR8, Austin, TX, USA
Not listed for sale under current ownership Not listed by BAT to my knowledge
Not a dealer
TPVDV8AT213053
6 1⁄2 years Years
9034 indicated miles, total miles 134,705 5,500 miles under my tenure
Mileage number accurate
Original engine, to the best of my knowledge 3.5L
5 speed manual
Clean Texas Title in my name
HISTORY
I’ve been a Triumph owner since the 1960s. The first car being a BRG TR3 that my wife and I drove all over Texas while I was a flight instructor in the army. Fast forward to the late 80’s and we purchased another TR3 to refurbish and have as a fun second car. This second car became my son’s car when he was 16 which he still owns and races with CVAR. Through the years, the stable of TRs grew to include a TR6 and a race prepared TR4.
The information I have on the TR8 dates from 2001. The car was in Santa Fe, New Mexico from 2001 to 2005. It was sold in 2005 and moved to North Saanich, British Colombia. As previously mentioned, I already owned a TR4 race car and a TR6 street car, I was on the lookout for a TR8 to add to the family. I found this car for sale near Victoria, BC in late July 2016 and embarked on cross country junket with my car trailer in tow to collect it. I was intrigued by the car and, nearly as much, intrigued with a road trip to a part of the country I had not visited before, other than by air to Seattle. I left my trusty pup Gracie in the care of a local Veterinarian for some restorative surgery and spent 10 days sightseeing. It was a marvelous trip, culminating in a sea voyage across the Salish Sea, twixt Port Angeles, Washington and Vancouver Island, complete with whale watching and a local Triumph club heading to a weekend meet on the Island. I collected the car and then spent a day seeing the sights in Victoria. I left for home with the thought in mind that Victoria was definitely worthy of a longer visit sometime in the future, perhaps with Gracie in tow.
ORIGINALITY
The vehicle is not 100% original. Modifications performed in BC from 2005 to 2016 included: Body removal and restoration to original condition, complete interior replacement, Rimmer Bros. alloy roll bar added, brake and suspension rebuild, exhaust headers, new stainless exhaust system, engine and transmission rebuild, differential rebuild (3.45:1) and new soft top and matching boot cover. Work performed under

 current owner's tenure include: TSI high torque starter installed, oil pump modification, Edelbrock manifold with Holley 4 barrel carburetor installed and a fuel pump cutoff switch installed for security.
BODYWORK DONE AND REASONS
According to records received with the car there were parking lot dents in both doors and there was a rust bubble in the bottom of the passenger door, these sustained during the time in Santa Fe. These were rectified while the car was in BC, during which time the paint color was changed from blue to a bare metal repaint in Carnelian Red. ISSUES
The car burns about a quart of oil in 500 miles. Minor blemishes in the paint as indicated in the gallery, the high beam indicator dash light out, the 3 prong oil pressure switch has been bypassed (replacement switch included). Small sealing blocks at the top of the wing windows missing, part not available. The driver’s side fabric strap on the soft top frame is torn.
RUST
No significant rust. There is slight surface rust in fender well lip to rear of right front wheel due to paint erosion caused by road debris: noted in gallery.
SERVICE RECORDS
Minimal from prior ownership. Service under current ownership well documented. RECENT SERVICE
Recent oil and filter change
ANYTHING ELSE WE SHOULD KNOW
No radio, no air conditioning. Original carburetors and manifold removed for the Edelbrock manifold installation retained and go with the car.

Take care,

Greg

Sent from my iPhone