[Fot] Morgan Question

Jack Wheeler jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 19 14:16:50 MST 2023

I know there some Morgan owners on the list, and perhaps some with the Ford engine.  I have a 1967 4/4 with the Ford 1600 cross flow engine.  This engine has a long racing history, so when I decided to rebuild the engine this winter, I added a few performance enhancements.  I have the engine (and a new 5-speed transmission) back in the car.  When I bolted the new Weber 40 DCOE side draft carbs onto the manifold, the front carburetor velocity stack was resting right on the front fender.  This won't work.  Obviously, I need to raise the engine about 1/2", or find a shorter manifold.
If anyone has any experience with side draft Webers in a Morgan with the 1600 engine, I would be interested in any suggestions you have for this problem.  I know there are a lot of people racing Morgans with this engine/carburetor combination (Jack Poteet for one).  If you know of anyone not on the list, who may be able to help me, I would appreciate any contact info you may be able to give me.
As always, thanks for your help.
Jack