[Fot] Fwd: Valve cover gasket sealant

Mike Harmuth ofracer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 05:43:39 MDT 2023

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mike Harmuth <ofracer at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 7:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Valve cover gasket sealant
To: Greg Blake <gblake58tr3 at icloud.com>

On the Triumph's I have with alloy covers, I glue the gasket to the block
with black RTV sealant and leave the cover side glue free. Doing it this
way, you build a dike of gasket material around the flat head surface that
holds oil in, even with the cover off. Clean the block with a solvent, put
the RTV on the gasket (works with all kinds) and use the cover to hold it
in place for 24hrs (overkill) to make sure the RTV has cured. After that,
the gasket stays in place for years and the oil stays in the engine.

mike h