[Healeys] Tranny and OD drain plugs

Dave & M rusd at sitestar.net
Sun Aug 5 07:40:35 MDT 2007

Hi Guys,

 From Redline's own specs:

The full description of MTL is "SAE 70W80 API GL-4 Gear Oil. Satisfies
the gear oil viscosity requirements of 70W, 75W, & 80 AND motor oil
viscosities SAE 30, 10W-30, & 5W30."

The full description of MT-90 is "SAE 75W90 API GL-4 Gear Oil.
Satisfies the gear oil viscosity requirements of 75W, 80W, & 90 AND
motor oil viscosities SAE 40, 10W-40, & 15W40."

They are both higher friction coefficient oils which helps
synchronizer & overdrive clutches work better & do not contain large
amounts of sulfur compounds which tend to damage bronze components in
the older transmissions. MTL is no more "slippery" than MT-90.

MTL is equivalent to 10W30, MT-90 is equivalent to 10W40. If you are
using the car in hot climates, the slightly thicker MT-90 tends to
work better. In cold climates,  the MTL might be better.

In my personal experience, either RL oil gives better shifting & OD
operation than the original recommended 30 weight engine oil, & also
better than the sometimes used SAE 20W-50 engine oil.  Multi grade &
synthetic oils were not available when the original car manuals were
written. There are endless arguments & opinions about which oil to
use, make your own decisions.

Regards,
Dave Russell