[Healeys] Smokin' New Clutch

Healeyguy at aol.com Healeyguy at aol.com
Sat Oct 6 20:00:00 MDT 2007

Listers
Just installed a new clutch in a friends BJ7. Actually used a BJ8 set  up,
flywheel to release bearing. Must have done about 50 clutch jobs in the  last
40+ years but this one had a different twist.

Everything thing went back together without much fanfare. The clutch
hydraulics checked out fine with full movement of the slave piston without  hitting
the c clip at the end of the bore.  The car was still on jack  stands so we
decided to give it a go. (Don't flame me for starting the car  on jack stands
'cause they are really big ones!)

Started the engine and warmed it up. Fixed the bad ground on the regulator,
the light got very bright all of a sudden and remembered the early emails on
the  list about this problem.  Thanks!

Restarted with clutch pedal fully depressed and after a few seconds smelled
something burning. Smoke was coming out any available orifice in the bell
housing.  The driveshaft, which was still fully exposed, was not turning  and the
hand brake was off. Assumed the clutch disc was dragging but with no
movement of the drive shaft and the fact that the gears can be selected at will  this
seemed strange.  No unusual noises. Shut it off. Let the clutch up and
started the car in neutral and the smoke does not emanate from said orifices.
Start again with clutch pedal to the metal and bingo, instant smoke. Really  funky
burnt clutch smell.

Anybody have a smokin' clutch before and if so did you find the  cause?
Think it will seat in (burn off the offending bits) and go away?  Should I just
close up the trans cover and tell the owner that there must be a  dead animal
trapped in there somewhere?

Let me know if you have any bright ideas.  Suspect I'll be pulling the  trans
again shortly.
Aloha
Perry