[Healeys] Soft top

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 21:49:52 MDT 2007

Rich and Others,

I think I have got the soft top about as sealed as it can be.  I took Rich's
advice and placed shims under the rear of the foot of the top frame and this
seemed to move the top a little closer to the windshield frame.  The first
time I tried it I didn't notice much change.  Like everything else I've done
on this restoration things seem to work better after the second or third
attempts.  This however did change the relationship of the rear wood to the
front wood around the windows quite a bit.  Well between that maneuver and
then carefully bending the aluminum strip that screws to the header wood the
top seal was moved into position compressing on the windshield frame.  The P
molding in conjunction with the top seal prevented water from coming in when I
sprayed a good stream of water onto the windshield and top this afternoon.
When I hit it with a jet type stream of water then it leaked just to the right
of center.  I don't think I will be out in a driving rain at 70-80 MPH so
maybe we'll be OK and reasonably dry if we get caught in a down pour.

Thank you once again to Rich and other listers who helped with this,

George Haywood
'65 bj8 in the tweaking stage of restoration