[Healeys] Overdrive accumulator piston rings - BJ8

Mark Schneider mandmschneider at comcast.net
Thu Apr 9 11:24:11 MDT 2009

Yesterday I was seeking advice on techniques for successfully
installing an overdrive hydraulic accumulator piston in the housing.
As I have never done this before I was having difficulty compressing
the 4 small steel rings while they are fed into the housing cylinder
bore.   I solved the challenge myself.  In truth I may have only
duplicated what others have done but it worked and it may be worth
sharing.

I visited an automatic transmission shop and showed the owner the
Healey OD accumulator piston and housing tube.  After a little
searching he produced a small metal ring with the exact same bore ID
as the housing.  The ring was only about a half inch long but it was
perfect for compressing the rings.