[Healeys] BN1 rear spring question - 8 leaf type.

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 01:59:03 MDT 2009

Paul and Rich

May I add something here relating to safety. Because this wedge is
fitted it is important that the correct toe bolt is fitted through the
centre of the spring leaves. The head needs to be around 3/4" long so
that it still engages with the axle casing. Most rear springs supplied
today have a toe bolt head around 3/8" long. This will not engage safely
so the rear axle to spring location relies on the 'U' bolts being tight.

If they are not tight enough there is a danger that the axle will slip
on the spring and twist around. This could make the car 'crab' with the
rear wheels not following the same track as the front. In an extreme
case this could cause a nasty accident.

I have raised this issue with UK suppliers over the years but they
choose to take no notice. Perhaps they would if somebody had an accident
where they could be liable by supplying an incorrect part.

Lets hope that it never comes to this.

Regards

--
John Harper