[Healeys] Gear reduction starter installation

Awgertoo at aol.com Awgertoo at aol.com
Tue Feb 3 15:58:21 MST 2009

In a message dated 2/3/2009 11:29:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
fortee9er at yahoo.com writes:

and  found that if I lined up the bolt holes the starter would hit the
scuttle or  the frame rails. Is there a proper way to clock the starter so it will
fit? In  previous posts to the list some of you mentioned having to shim the
starter in  order to get a proper fit. Couls you explain what exactly did you
shim and  what was used as shims?
Thanks

Jorge--

I have gear reduction starters fitted to my 100 and my wife's  3000.  In both
cases I found that there was only one "clock"  position that allowed
clearance of the engine and the toebox--it is  close but should be there somewhere.

I initially had to fit some shims (cut from suspension shims, but  aluminum
cans work just fine)  to my wife's car to get the gear to  engage/disengage
cleanly but later found that the problem was due to the  ring gear's having
become misaligned which ultimately required  pulling the engine to fix, but that's
a whole nother story.

Best--Michael Oritt
net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)