[Healeys] Fitting new grille to bonnet BJ8

John Loftus loftusdesign at cox.net
Mon Feb 9 10:06:53 MST 2009

Hi Wes,

I had a lot of trouble reinstalling that grille on the inside (maybe the re-chrome was too heavy) but that is the way I have seen it on original unmolested cars. If you install it on the outside then the top piece w/studs might stick up too high leaving an unsightly gap and/or some of the grill will poke out from under the top piece. At least that is what mine looked like when I tried to fit the grille on the outside of the scoop.

BTW, originally there were rectangular rubber packing pieces installed on the studs that help prevent dimples in the top piece when tightening the fastening nuts. Make sure you use some rubber washers between the top piece/paint, some medium locktight and only hand tighten the nuts. If you pull them too tight you can ruin the look of the top piece.

Cheers,
John