[Healeys] BN 7 MkII heat shield

John McElrath linsley46 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 10:14:13 MST 2009

Thanks - This is a great picture to add to my collection - but I wonder if
this is the early or late heat shield. In the picture in Robson's book on
page 65 the asbestos looks like it is on the bottom side of the heat shield
and not the top.

The boiling over problem was a big issue with my first tri-carb - the car
definately had to be in tune an running properly.  This is also one of the
reasons I wonder about the comments I have read that says there was no
overflow pipes on the early cars.  All the previous cars has overflow pipes
that I am aware of and it would see strange that Healey would knowling sell
a car that would pump gas onto a hot exhaust system. They already knew that
the BT7 could dump gas onto the manifold and took care of that.

It may well be that the first own of this car changed to the later heat
shield and added the overflow drains to solve the problems.  I just don't
know and can't find the orginal owner yet.  Someone over the years did some
pretty bad body work on this car so they weren't too careful.  They painted
the red interior black and the black car white over everything.

Thanks for your help.

John