[Healeys] Off Topic (sort of)

Len and/or Marge Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Sun May 16 22:11:24 MDT 2010

Coincidentally, the Sacramento Bee newspaper contained an article today by
John Markoff, New York Times, "Cars' computers not hacker-proof, researchers
warn".  At this time I would have to consider it legitimate considering the
capablilities of GM's OnStar system.  Following are a few comments the
article contained:

"Automobiles, which will be increasingly connected to the Internet in the
near future, could be vulnerable to hackers just as personal computers are
now, two teams of computer scientists are warning in a paper to be presented
this week.

The scientists say that they were able to remotely control braking and other
functions and that the car industry is running the risk of repeating the
security mistakes of the PC industry.

"We demonstrated the ability to adversarially control a wide range of
automotive functions and completely ignore driver input - including
disabling the brakes, selectively braking individual wheels on demand,
stopping the engine, and so on"...

...He said the research teams were able to demonstrate their ability to
circumvent a wide variety of systems critical to the safety of drivers and
passengers...The reseachers were able to activate dozens of functions -
almost all of them while the car was in motion...".

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031