[Healeys] leaf springs

Williams, Allen awill at ccs.ua.edu
Thu Jul 12 08:39:05 MDT 2012

My BJ7 has slowly turned itself into a "tail dragger" over the last 10 years.
So, I think it's time to renew the rear suspension. I plan on replacing the
shocks, links, bump stops, and the leaf springs.

I bought the current springs back in '98 or '99 when I was restoring the car.
They seemed to settle lower than I expected within months of their
installation. Now they have settled to the point of dropping the rear enough
to cause the tailpipe to take a beating with most every dip in the road.
I did some research in the archives about this subject, but the discussions
seem to be several years old.
So, I thought I'd bring the topic up again. My questions are: is the quality
of the springs available today the same from vendor to vendor? What about the
8-leaf springs? I know they're stiffer (I've read up to 12%-whatever that
means). Are they practical for a driver? Any comments/experiences will be much
appreciated.
Allen Williams
63 BJ7