[Healeys] Castrol Syntec Oil

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 06:14:40 MDT 2012

Kees, with all due respect, the theory is correct, if you are talking about a
modern twin cam, aluminium, multivalve engine.
But It isn't if you are talking about 500 plus pounds of cast iron heatsink
with a single flat tappet cam in the block. In a hot climate,
I've been running HPR40 or HPR50 - depending on the season, and the cars use -
for 12 years, with no problems to date. Head hasn't been off, just plugs,
points, timing, tappets. Usual maintenance stuff.
Oil pressure today was 55- 60 lbs at cold idle. 60 lbs at 4,500rpm. 40 lbs at
hot idle. That's today - I just drove to Wakefield Park from Sydney - with
HPR40.
My engine was rebuilt in 1998. http://www.myaustinhealey.com/dyno_sheet.html

Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On 29/06/2012, at 4:17 PM, Oudesluys <coudesluijs at chello.nl> wrote:

> A xxW70 or higher spec oil would not be my choice as the viscosity with a
warm/hot engine may be to high to cater for enough flow in the system and
starving some areas from oil where sufficient flow is paramount. In a healthy
engine the pressure will be relatively higher than with the usual 20W50 oil,
causing the relieve valve to open early and dumping the oil back in the sump
instead of the oil being transported fast enough to the parts to be
lubricated. So the gauge will register all is fine and dandy or "better" while
the bearings may not get enough oil supplied for lubrication and cooling.
> Kees Oudesluijs
>

> Op 29-6-2012 0:08, Bob Haskell schreef:
>> Chris (and anyone else),
>>
>> On the Penrite website, the product selector recommends Classic Medium
(25W-70) for the 6 cylinder Austin-Healeys - which they state is for vehicles
that originally used an SAE 40 oil.  Seems like the Classic Light (20W-60)
might be a better match (SAE 30, 20W-40 or 20W-50).

>> The HPR40 is also 25W-70, so would you stick with the Classic Medium? HPR
or Classic for the street?  Gearbox: Gearbox Oil 30 or 40?

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Bob Haskell
>> AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
>> http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php
>>

>> On 06/28/2012 06:05 AM, Chris Dimmock wrote:
>>> I've tried most. Still can't go past Penrite HPR 40 or HPR50
>>> 1450 ppm of zinc. Designed for our engines.
>>> HPR gives the best oil pressure I've even seen from a hot Healey engine
(ie
>>> when you drive off the track)
>>>
>>> http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/192%20LATEST%20ZINC%20LEVELS.pdf
>>>
>>> Or http://tinyurl.com/88fks4b
>>>
>>> (that's for you Ed. Pain in the ass finding a URL shorter that works on
an
>>> iPhone!!!!)
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>

>> -----
>> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
>> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
>> Versie: 2012.0.2180 / Virusdatabase: 2437/5098 - datum van uitgifte:
06/28/12