[Healeys] fuel pump condenser

Alex alexmm at roadrunner.com
Wed Apr 2 12:35:49 MDT 2014

Just to clarify, you will not harm a capacitor, even a polarized
electrolytic type, by "testing" it with an ohmmeter (continuity tester) with
the leads reversed. You can, however, harm an electrolytic cap if it is
installed backwards in a circuit. Some can even explode.

Years ago I was troubleshooting a Heathkit stereo amplifier that a customer
had newly assembled. The electrolytic cap in its power supply blew up like a
firecracker. Fortunately for me I was wearing glasses, so the bits of paper
and aluminum landed on  my eyeglass lenses and not in my eye. Turns out the
cap was marked backwards! The customer had installed it "correctly"
according to the markings as per the kit's instruction manual. That was a
rare bird---but almost cost me dearly.

Also, digital multimeters with capacitor test functions typically reveal a
cap's value. They do not check for leakage. Only a capacitor tester that
applies voltage to a cap can do that, which is why I always have an ancient
Eico capacitor tester in my shop. Using it you can apply DC voltage to a
capacitor under test, and watch the instrument's "magic eye" green tube to
see how it reacts. I often find bad caps this way in radio sets that I
repair, especially the old Sprague Black Beauty types.  Ditto for
electrolytics.

Finally, the best "test" for a suspect cap is substitution.

== Alex in Maine
     "The Blue Mainie," 1960 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
     "Conkling," 1946 M.G. TC #1321
     Former owner 1957 A-H 100-6, 1967 A-H BJ8,
     1965 MG Midget
     http://home.roadrunner.com/~alexmm