[Healeys] When to change transmission oil

michaelsalter at gmail.com michaelsalter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 09:13:11 MDT 2014

Actually I would add that what actually destroys the original gearboxes in Healeys is the hardened steel particles that don't make it to the overdrive filter magnets and circulate within the gearbox.

These particles are shed by the 1st and reverse gears every time you hear that bgrindb or bcrunchb upon engaging 1st or reverse and make their way through the gearboxes oil circulation system to the layshaft bearings where they cause the rapid failure of the needle roller bearings in there. As these bearings fail they in turn add to the volume of hardened steel particles in circulation thus exuberating the problem.

It is to this reason that I recommend to all Healey owners that they get into the habit of starting off from a stop in 2nd gear, an easily learned habit, that will enormously prolong the life of the gearbox.

This of sourse does not apply to BN1s with the 1st gear locked out because they effectively have a bfull syncrob box.

Michael S

BN1 #174