[Healeys] Penrite 140 In Differential; Follow Up.

Graham Wilkie glwilkie1 at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 24 19:28:54 MDT 2014

Hi Listers,

Some time ago, I sought advice on whether using Penrite straight 140 Mineral
Gear Oil in the differential of my BJ8 would be okay. It was in an attempt to
reduce differential whine at around 60 mph and above, when under load. The

Did the Penrite 140 reduce the diff whine? After covering about 50 miles, I
concluded that any reduction in diff whine is minimal. I will continue to use
it however, as it is prescribed by Penrite "for quietening noisy
differentials, where the noise is due to wear, thus prolonging the life of the
unit".

I then added Nulon G70 Manual Gearbox & Diff Treatment, to the existing
Penrite 140, in the differential. I have found that after approximately 100
miles of driving, the diff whine is quieter. Not eliminated, but easier to
live with.

Would I do the same things again, now knowing the result? Yes I would.

Of course a diff rebuild would be the correct solution, however the Healey has
been laid up for about three years, and I don't want to take it off the road
again just yet.

Graham Wilkie.
BJ8 Moruya NSW Australia.