[Healeys] Rear axle gasket question

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 24 22:25:25 MST 2015

Steve:

The paper gaskets – which are basically dust seals – should go on dry.  It’s the o-ring that does all the sealing.  Too thick a coating on the paper has been known to prevent the axle flange from giving the right amount of ‘squeeze’ on the o-ring, thereby actually producing a leak – especially if the o-ring is slightly undersize.

If you are worried about tearing the paper as you try to get it over the studs, you can soak the gasket in water for awhile to help with that.  In fact, the early cars didn’t use the paper at all.

Flame away gang!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb