[Healeys] Steering wheel nut

J. Armour sebring3000 at bigpond.com
Wed Mar 16 18:30:08 MDT 2016

When I was a young trainee engineer an old bloke showed me that to
clean-up a damaged thread by hand screw on a nut until it would not
continue and then tap all sides of the hexagon sides of the nut while
applying torque to turn the nut. Slowly continuing this will reshape
damaged thread without removing metal which is what the cutting process of
the die nut will do. The amount of metal in a thread form is easily
reworked if the nut will start on a previously well formed thread..
Biggest risk is black and bruised fingers!
This is a crude form of roll forming a thread and we all know rolled
threads are much stronger and better than cut threads.
Joe